WHAT ARE YOU DOING DURING SUMMER 2017?
Explore the possibility of doing an internship and serving God in SHIP’s Salvadoran neighborhood this summer! Experience the joy of sharing the Gospel with kids in a neighborhood where they are just coming to know that Jesus cares about THEM! Feed the emotional hunger of a child longing to be loved and valued and just hugged.
Interns will have the opportunity to serve alongside SHIP staff and Salvadoran nationals. They will be assisting with short-term mission teams in various projects including, but not limited to, construction, evangelism, and youth ministry, while also building relationships with our Salvadoran neighbors. We are seeking individuals with a firm grasp of the Spanish language (but please apply even if you aren’t fluent), at least one year of college, and a desire to serve in El Salvador as we share the Gospel of grace through the teachings of the Bible.
Here’s a more detailed list of intern duties:
- Know Jesus and want to share Him and His love
- Able to carry on a conversation in Spanish and assist with translation
- Lead Bible studies for the young men and women
- Help with tutoring at the after-school learning center
- Spend time discipling and mentoring teens (high school-age Bible study and life-skills) in our neighborhood
- Help with construction projects
- Work with the women’s work center micro-business
- Assist with preparing for and helping with mission teams under the direction of SHIP leadership, and be willing to help in all areas
- Don’t mind being humiliated at soccer (it’s the national sport and these kids are GOOD!)
- Be a good role model for the kids, both while in El Salvador and during interactions after returning to the States
- Be flexible and available to be the hands and feet of Jesus
- Acknowledge that, even if it’s not listed above, it is or may be in your job description
The term of the internship is 8 weeks, from May 18 – July 13, and you will work with SHIP staff. (If your university requires a 10-week internship, contact us.) The cost is $2,000 plus air transportation (approximately $700), and medical insurance (about $200). Included is transportation from the El Salvador airport to SHIP and return to the airport, meals eaten at SHIP, lodging, Wi-Fi, and beach trips during each mission trip (4-5 trips). Not covered are snacks, excursions that are not included in a scheduled SHIP trip, and other personal-type expenses (about $400, depending on your wants/needs).
Your internship may actually apply to your needed credit hours. Check with your university/college advisor about the possibility of receiving credit for your work with SHIP.
Application deadline is March 31, 2017.
Please contact Ann Horton, International Services Coordinator, for more information (email@example.com or 979.260.7447).
Letter of Instruction for Applicant