Currently, SHIP is assessing the possibility of internships for Summer 2021.
Due to the travel restrictions and the need for COVID-19 testing to enter El Salvador, getting into the country is a little more difficult. However, we anticipate being able to take groups to El Salvador starting in the summer of 2021.
If you are interested in an internship with SHIP for Summer 2021, please contact us to discuss the possibilities!
SHIP’s Summer Internship Program
SHIP invites you to consider interning in El Salvador this summer. Shadow a SHIP staff member, as you serve God in a culture that is completely, well, foreign to you. Learn from experienced Bible teachers, as you help lead children, teens, and adults in studies that will encourage them to grow in their walk with God. Help build or repair a house, as you learn how to use tools and improve the living conditions of SHIP’s neighbors. Listen to your Spanish skills improving, as you share the Gospel and build relationships.
The eight-week summer internships in El Salvador are open to university-aged (sophomore class or higher) and young adult individuals who are looking for an opportunity to work in an international ministry. The applicant must:
- Know Jesus and want to share Him and His love
- Be willing to be discipled by and learn from SHIP staff
- Speak Spanish or attempt to learn basic Spanish prior to the trip
- Assist with preparing for mission teams
- Be responsible for specific duties during mission trips
- Be willing to work with the women’s work center micro-business
- Be willing to help with construction projects
- Want to spend time discipling and mentoring teens (high school-age Bible study and life-skills) in our neighborhood
- Not mind being humiliated at soccer (it’s the national sport, and these kids are GOOD!)
- Be flexible and available to get dirty and sweaty, to work long hours, be inconvenienced and stretched and challenged, all because you want to be the hands and feet of Jesus
The term of the internship is 8 weeks (if your university requires a 10-week internship, contact us) from mid-May to mid-July. The cost is $2,000 plus air transportation ($700-$800). Included is international medical insurance, transportation from the El Salvador airport to SHIP and return to the airport, meals eaten at SHIP, lodging, Wi-Fi, and excursions during each mission trip (4 trips). Not covered are snacks, excursions that are not included in a scheduled SHIP trip, and other personal-type expenses (about $400, depending on your wants/needs).
Your internship may apply to your university credit hours. Check with your university advisor about the possibility of receiving credit for your work with SHIP.