Just as we give in El Salvador, SHIP gives right here in Texas. SHIP’s Texas staff and Board are active members of their local community, and, as an organization, SHIP steps in when help is needed. We live here, and we give here. Here is some of the work that SHIP has done locally:
- Our SHIP Shop in Bryan, Texas, regularly works with local nonprofits and school districts to provide clothing, furniture, and household goods to people in need. Want to learn more about the SHIP Shop?
- Routinely, the SHIP Shop receives donations of nonperishable foods, fruits, and vegetables that we make available to the public.
- After learning of local families in need, SHIP has purchased mattresses to help them.
- A missionary returning from Japan needed help building a home, and SHIP sent volunteers to assist with construction.
- We supplied two new, complete air conditioning units with free installation, as well as new paint and lumber repairs to a Bryan, Texas-based center for abused children.
- SHIP assisted local efforts in the wake of the hurricane disasters Katrina and Rita. After Hurricane Katrina, SHIP volunteers worked to serve displaced persons, provide lodging, find employment, and locate long-term housing for the evacuees. During Hurricane Rita, SHIP partnered with a local church, providing help in housing and feeding over 300 evacuees. SHIP also helped the Salvation Army in Louisiana to feed evacuees and sent truckloads of food and clothing to LaPlas and Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- A Bryan, Texas resident lost her husband suddenly to a heart attack at the age of 56. Unfortunately, the house was in the process of being remodelled, and she was left uninsured and with a home in an unsafe condition. SHIP stepped in and through generous donations was able to complete the remodelling work. SHIP volunteers finished the project by the end of 2007, and she now has a home that is insured and safe.
- SHIP brought help after flooding caused great damage to homes in Copperas Cove, Texas. Many of the homes affected belonged to active military families. SHIP provided professional sheetrock and texturing skills as they assisted the city’s residents to rebuild and repair the homes for our soldiers, their families, and residents of Copperas Cove.
- In 2007, SHIP partnered with Child Protective Services of Brazos County, Texas, to provide Christmas gifts for children placed in protective foster care. Through generous donations, we sponsored 20 children.